Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Fluctuations

Today's Weigh-In: 261 lbs.
Weight Loss So Far: 17 lbs.
Still To Go: 62 lbs.

Well, as expected my weight has been fluctuating between 260-262 lbs. the past couple days. I'll have the five-day average to refer to soon, so I can see my *real* progress. Was up all night working and so I slept most of the day, and I did have a small meal at around 3 in the morning which I normally don't like to do, but I kept it nutritious (fat-free refried beans, cheese, and lettuce rolled up in whole wheat tortillas) and I haven't eaten much today since I was sleeping. One thing I actually need to watch out for when I'm all motivated to lose weight is to make sure I am getting enough calories. I always need to remember that in order to maintain lean muscle and keep my energy up, I need to be getting between 2,000-2,300 calories a day, and sometimes I find I'm being so careful and strict with myself that I'm only getting around 1,500 or 1,600. But I figure, a couple pieces of fruit or a solid plate of raw vegetables with some low-fat dressing, or maybe some peanut butter on whole-grain bread here or there throughout the day should keep me at a good calorie level. It's so true that you have to eat more than you think you should--but eat smart and time it well throughout the day--in order to lose weight without feeling deprived. Starvation never works -- I tried that once years ago and lost weight (of course I lost muscle and not just fat) and when I went back to eating "normally" I put it back on. I guess the trick is to find a way of eating that you can live with your whole life, not just temporarily while you are "getting fit" and then the chances of keeping it off long-term are very high.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You're so right on with everything.

Btw...fat free refried beans, cheese, lettuce, and corn tortillas are staples in my house.