Tuesday, August 7, 2007

No Meat

Today's Weigh-In: 260 lbs.
Weight Loss So Far: 18 lbs.
Still To Go: 61 lbs.

So, about the vegetarian thing. I stopped eating meat close to a year ago. As an animal lover It's something I've wanted to do for a while, and I also did it for fitness reasons -- even though there are plenty of fattening foods for you that aren't meat (pizza, candy, chips, etc.) and I eat more of that stuff than I should, I thought it would be a good idea to remove the possibility of fast food burgers and that kind of thing that always seemed to sink my attempts at losing weight. But the biggest reason I became a vegetarian was as a test, a challenge. I just wanted to see if I could do it, as I've always been a person who has given into cravings and always rationalized or made excuses, and I wanted to test myself. And except for two times over the past year, both of them involving meat-based broth in soups, I've succeeded and that has meant a lot to me. It's one of the reasons that I feel I can really achieve my weight loss goals -- now I see that I CAN make a firm decision and stick to it no matter what. At this point I don't miss meat, don't crave it at all, and being a vegetarian is just a habit. I think my march toward fitness will become a similar habit.

3 comments:

Ripx180 said...

I hope it is just that for you. I personally love meat too much to give it up but can understand your reasoning and rational behind your decisions. Make sure you eat enough beans and other high protein options. Its imperative to muscle growth and trust me you want that lean body mass.

mick said...

oh yeah I definitely get plenty of protein, and I'm not lacking in any nutrients or anything. I eat a ton of beans and other high quality protein.

Anonymous said...

Good! You're getting your protein. That was the first thought that came to mind when I read your blog. :)

Welcome aboard, btw. I happened to see your blog on a few other FAT members' blogs. I'm so observant!!

Anyway, you'll do fine with losing weight. Just do what you know you should be doing and everything will fall into place. :)