Saturday, August 11, 2007

Out of the 260's!

Today's Weigh-In: 258 lbs.
Five-Day Average: 259.6
Weight Loss So Far: 18.4 lbs.
Still To Go: 60.6 lbs.

Just dropping in here real quick to record today's numbers, as I decided to take the weekend to nourish my brain as well as my body by staying off the computer and not watching TV (I probably do too much of both). I've been catching up on some reading and listening to public radio all day, both of which have been great, and something I need to do a lot more of.

I've noticed that since midweek I have gone from a scale weight of 261 to 258. I've been eating pretty well and the in right portions (getting somewhere around 2,300 calories per day) and walking some (and the city I live in is very hilly), but nothing too dramatic. I'm sure it's mostly physiological, probably a loss of water weight or something, but I was thinking back to two times in my life when I got really serious about losing weight and dropped somewhere around 25-30 pounds each time. The weight came off really fast both times, I would say I lost all of that weight over no more than two months, without starving myself or doing any real heavy duty exercise. So I wonder if the brain has anything to do with the actual physical weight loss process, when you become that dedicated to it? Perhaps releasing some kind of enzymes or hormones or something that help the process along? I'm sure the science says it's all about the numbers (calories in vs. burned), but does the mental outlook have any effect on it beyond just keeping you on the right track as to what you need to do to lose weight?

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Congrats on coming out of the 260s! I hope this weight loss will be a permanent one.

Kristen said...

To me it's all about the brain. The body does what it does, but it usually requires us to have the right mental state.

Great job on the 3 lbs this week. That's a nice number.

mick said...

thanks! i'm dedicated to make this a permanent weight loss. and you're probably right, kristen -- the mind is a powerful, mysterious thing and when focused on a goal it can help things along greatly, in ways we probably will never fully understand. not that anyone can just "will" the weight away, but the right outlook combined with proper nutrition and exercise can maybe knock an additional 1/2 pound a week off or something, haha :)